After the global pandemic, a wooden jigsaw puzzle has taken on a new role: to help people switch their thoughts from the negative aspects to one of the best depression management tools.
That was a relief during long lockdown days.
But how are those tiny pieces are actually made? What jigsaw puzzle manufacturing equipment is used in the jigsaw puzzle manufacturing process? The answer is: manufacturing puzzles is a complex procedure.
Wooden Jigsaw Puzzle Manufacturing
Below, let’s check the step-by-step process of how your favorite jigsaws are made before they travel to your family dinner’s festive table.
- Whether it’s a wooden jigsaw puzzle for adults or kids, every fragment must be shaped uniquely. That is why before the puzzle is cut, the shapes of the puzzle fragments are drawn.
- Once the pieces are designed and the image is pasted onto the puzzle cover, the cutter is laid on top and the pressure is applied.
- Quality control is a must before the jigsaws are broken up and swept into boxes or bags.
- Manufacturers provide a gift-ready packaging selection (typically a cardboard box) for every jigsaw collection to guarantee the very best customer experience.
To get to know more about how jigsaws are made, check out our quick jigsaw puzzle manufacturing video given below.
How Are Jigsaw Puzzles Cut?
The jigsaw puzzle manufacturing process includes the cut stage. Thanks to the wonderful invention of the 20th century – the laser – the process can be done with incredible precision and speed.
How are jigsaw puzzles cut? Let’s dive in:
- The laser is placed close to the puzzle surface while the computer software is used to control the process.
- The state-of-the-art precision laser method gives an opportunity to produce the so-called ribbon (cut into similar shapes) or random-cut jigsaw puzzles (crazy-shaped irregular pieces).
- The movements backward and forward enable the manufacturers to produce fragments 100 times faster than a human being can.
Random Cut Jigsaw Puzzles
Picking between random and ribbon-cut jigsaw puzzles depends on your personal expectations and preferences. Both types can turn a simple brain teaser into a challenging game. However, the irregularity of random cuts with almost zero uniformity (except the flat border edge) can be tough for beginners and loved by puzzle geeks. As you can see, the jigsaw puzzle pieces' shapes depend totally on if you are a competitive puzzler or an amateur.
Jigsaw puzzles with uniquely shaped pieces are the ones to go for those in need of effective mental exercise. Not only will irregular pieces enhance mental speed, but they will also help those who can’t boast of good memory, high IQ, or attention to detail.
Ribbon Cut Jigsaw Puzzle
If random jigsaw puzzle piece shapes are too much for you, we recommend exercising your brain with the ribbon-cut items. With the horizontal and vertical lines clearly seen in the puzzle, the process of solving a jigsaw is less time-consuming and challenging. Since you can pierce fragments together in a line-by-line manner, this type of puzzle will become a great gift for the little ones or those young at heart. Besides, if you’re on the lookout for a casual hobby or fun family activity after a Thanksgiving dinner, go for the easier ribbon-cut jigsaw puzzle.
Jigsaw Puzzle Manufacturing Equipment
Each wooden jigsaw puzzle starts life as a piece of high-quality and eco-friendly wood. Today’s handmade jigsaw puzzle manufacturing is impossible without the following techs:
- Press machine exclusively designed and equipped for wooden puzzle production. This wood board is fed into a press that forces a range of hardened blades (made of steel) through the board. As a result, you see perfect edges on each fragment.
- Printer. The device is used to print the chosen puzzle picture in a suitable format. When the printing part is done, the artwork is allowed to dry before is sent to die cut press.
- Cutting equipment – the laser. This up-to-date equipment is used to burn away tiny bits of wood as it cuts.
Now that you know a bit more about jigsaw puzzle production, the main difference between the jigsaw puzzle cuts, and the equipment needed for a successful jigsaw puzzle manufacturing, you can make a well-thought-out purchase. Once you know what type of cut works best for you or your partner in crime puzzles, you’ll bring home a decent addition to a brain-building hobby.